Thursday 23 June 2011

Tick Tock

The little ticker to the right tells me that I have less than 50 days left until my due date.  This brings me to thoughts of how this little sucker is getting out of me.  Based on a personal recommendation, and the highest Amazon ratings I've ever seen for a book of this type, I read Ina May Gaskin's book "Guide to Childbirth." Ina May is a founding member of the Midwives Alliance of North America and author who writes about natural childbirth, she has attended over 2,200 natural births.

The first half of the book is made up of stories of women who have been through the natural birthing process, I found them a little too granola and repetitive.  The second half of the book more than makes it a worthwhile read.  It walks you through the entire birth process and did a pretty good job of convicing me that my instinct to avoid epdiurals, pitocin and other interventions is the right thing for me.  Obviously everyone's experience is going to be different and you don't know what roadblocks you will encounter, but Ina May's book convinced me that with proper preparation and the right mental approach, this is something that I can do (or at least strive for).  I'm still scared but I'm more scared of medical interventions, as Ina May says "your body is not a lemon" and it will know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment